Announcing the beta release of a new way of doing business with MetroÆ. Croxley beta, v3.0.0b1, is now available for you to kick the tires. The text of the release can be found at the bottom of this message.
Important things for you to know:
- The beta period will last through the month of October
- During beta, MetroÆ 2 (currently v2.4.6) lives in the master branch
- During beta, MetroÆ 3 (Croxley) lives in the dev branch
- To access, clone the repo as always, then `git checkout dev` to change to Croxley and the dev branch
- metro-ansible command has been replaced by metroae command
- Try `metroae –help` for a list of options
- All of the playbooks you know and love are there, such as `metroae install_everything` and `metrae vsd_predeploy`
- New playbooks have been added, such as `metroae install_vsd` which does predeploy, deploy, and postdeploy
- For a list of the playbooks available, try `metroae –list`
- Your operations are no longer defined by one or more build_vars.yml files
- You can now create multiple ‘deployments’ in subfolders of ./deployments
- There is a single `default` deployment directory, and you can make more!
- build_vars.yml, user_creds.yml, and zfb_vars.yml have been replaced by files in the deployments directories
- Documentation and our web site (http://188.8.131.52) have been improved.
- The web site now includes blog posts by MetroÆ team members, a forum for asking questions and giving answers, and links to videos and other helps
- And more!
Important things for you to look forward to:
- We will be releasing Croxley beta in Docker Container form
- We will provide an installation script that will take care of the details for you
- The container will handle all the prerequisites for your MetroÆ platform operation
- The container is hosted on an internal site during the beta. Sorry. No access via the Internet. We plan to push the container to Docker Hub at the end of the month.
- The container may be hosted on Linux and MacOS at this time
- When you get the Docker container, you get the GUI and REST API
- Point your browser at http://localhost:5001 (port number may be different on MacOS…)
Important things for you to do:
Nuage Software lifecycle management just got better!
New Procedures and Improvements
- Removal of build_vars.yml There is no longer a single monolithic configuration file for MetroÆ. Configuration is specified through deployments. A tool is provided to convert an obsolete build_vars.yml file to a deployment. See CUSTOMIZE.md for details on deployments.
- Removal of build The user no longer needs to issue the build playbook. This will be handled automatically and seamlessly by the MetroÆ tool. MetroÆ also tracks changes and will skip steps not required if configuration is unmodified.
- Schema validation of deployment data All configuration specified in a deployment is automatically validated against json-schema.org schemas. This ensures that all required fields are set and every field has the correct syntax. Any error will be found as early as possible and a specific error message will call out the exact problem.
- Workflows instead of playbooks To simplify usage, the concept of a playbook is being replaced by a workflow. The .yml extension is no longer required. Thus, issue vsd_deploy instead of vsd_deploy.yml. The MetroÆ tool is renamed from metro-ansible to metroae. It now supports different arguments, including –list which displays all supported workflows.
- Cleanup of repo The MetroÆ repository has been cleaned. Only tools useful for users are present in the root directory. The internal workings of the tool have been moved to sub-directories like src/.
The following components/operations are not supported in the beta release.
- nsgv bootstrap (install is supported)
- AWS-based VSTAT upgrade
- upgrade of VRS through VCIN